Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

This is a fun little game I saw on a couple cooking blogs and I thought it sounded like fun. I have a ton of blogs in my Google Reader, truly, it's the only way to keep up with the plethora of pinatas (ahem, good ideas) that the Internet cooks come up with. The original came from Very Good Taste, and is a list of the top one hundred things every omnivore should try at least once. Since I enjoy trying new things, and I think it's funny what some people will NOT eat, I decided to give it a whirl. Here ya go, Internet, a quick glimpse of my lifetime food sampling resume.

Here's what to do if you want to do it yourself:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. (I can't figure out how to 'cross out' in Blogger, so mine will contain the comment NO WAY.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare (does carpaccio count?)
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn or head cheese - NO WAY
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - NO WAY, tongue blisters hold no appeal for me.
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam Chowder in Soudough Bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted Cream Tea
38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O - ah college...
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - I could see trying this if they were gnats covered in chocolate.
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more
46. Fugu - seriously, why?
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. kaolin - wikipedia says this is clay. I don't know why anyone would eat it. Does it aid digestion?
64. Currywurst
65. Durian - NO WAY. I have a friend whose actually seen (and smelled) a durian before. The woman carrying it got kicked of the Singaporian bus.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - speaking of, the fair's right around the corner...
68. Haggis - NO WAY
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost or brunost
75. Roadkill - NO WAY...this one's gotta be a joke
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang Souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. 3 Michelin Star Tasting Menu - birthday gift ideas for me, dear husband.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse - NO WAY. I reject this on moral grounds.
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake (I've had rattlesnake, fresh from the prairie)

After going through this list, I realized I'm not as cultured as I thought I was. Thank you, Wikipedia, for defining at least 20 items on this list.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing what items are on the list and the thought someone out there has eaten them! If you ever come to Chicago, I'd be happy to point you to some of those items you haven't tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!? You've never tried roadkill? No kidding you're not as cultured as you thought you were! There's nothing like a good smoked 'possum with armadillo grits and skunk fricassee! Mmmm! Nom Nom!

    ReplyDelete