Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Pioneer Woman's Chicken Scallopine

This recipe tasted wonderful, but I messed up the sauce somehow. The cream seemed to separate on me and it never really thickened. Good thing Brent isn't picky about minutia like that, as long as he has a piece of crispy bread to soak up the sauce, he's happy.

Since I'm pregnant and don't really keep any wine around the house, I had to use chicken stock for the sauce. I know it would taste better than stock, I wish I had sent Brent to the package store for a bottle of chardonnay.

I loved her method for browning the chicken breasts. The olive oil/butter combination made them taste amazing, plus the house smelled great from the browning butter. Next time, I think I'll use baby portobella mushrooms, they have so much more flavor (I sound like Ina).

Chicken Scallopine
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks!

1 pound linguine
6 chicken breasts
Flour
Salt & Pepa
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp butter
12 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
1 cup dry white wine
1 lemon
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 heaping tbsp capers

Cook the pasta until al dente.

Flatten the chicken breasts using a meat mallet, or whatever kitchen utensil you use for this task (I use a rolling pin). Season both sides with salt and pepper, than coat with flour. Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet, add the chicken and fry until golden brown (time depends on the thickness). Remove chicken from pan, set aside.

Add mushrooms to the skillet and stir to coat with the remaining oil. Deglaze the pan with the wine and the juice from the lemon (amount to taste). Cook for one minute, or until the sauce reduces.

Reduce heat to low (here's where I made my mistake, I think my sauce was still too hot when I added the cream). Add the cream, capers and parsley, stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the sauce over the chicken and pasta and serve with crusty bread and parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! When are you due? Be prepared for the best thing to ever happen to you, Motherhood!

    Lovin' all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and sending happy and healthy wishes for the months to come!

    ReplyDelete