Sunday, May 17, 2009

Frosted Marshmallow Brownies

I first made these brownies two weekends ago. As soon as they were frosted, we were invited over to spend the evening with my in-laws. The brownies went with us and never made it back home for their photo session. I remade them again yesterday for another dinner gathering with my in-laws, but I made sure some of them made it back so I could share the recipe. And yes, I took this picture outside with the plate on top of my mailbox. It's a beautiful sunshiny day and I'm tired of bad indoor lighting. After I snapped the shots, I took the plate over to Jay and Leslie of West 95 so I could share some bakinglove with them!

The recipe is super easy and tastes awesome. The little surprise of marshmallow makes them a little more fun than regular brownies, IMHO.

Frosted Marshmallow Brownies

Ingredients:

Brownies:
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 T baking cocoa
3-4 cups mini marshmallows

Frosting:
3/4 stick butter
6 T Milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup mini marshmallows or 4-6 large marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilly and beat until fluffy.
In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Add to dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then spread into the 9x13 pan.

Bake for 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with the mini marshmallows. Bake for another 2-3 minutes until the marshmallows are melty and spreadable. Using a butter knife dipped in water, spread the marshmallows over the brownies evenly.

For the frosting, combine the butter, milk and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir constantly until the mixture has boiled for one minute. Add the marshmallows and chocolate chips and stir until completely melted and combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken slightly. This is best done by running a sink of cold water and setting the saucepan into it while you continue stirring. I didn't do that the first time, but I did the second. The frosting definitely turned out smoother and shinier the second batch. Pour the frosting evenly over the bars. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

1 comment: