Sunday, June 27, 2010

Onion Strings


Brent's parents have the best outdoor kitchen area.  There's a gas burner right beside the grill, and all this is set on a large bar/countertop with lots of area to spread out to visit, cook, etc.  For Memorial Day we decided to fry some onion strings and with the outdoor burner, we didn't have to stinky up the inside of the house with the hot oil smell. 

I wish I had a picture of the HUGE pile of onion strings I made, but I honestly believe I would have been physically injured if I had put blog pictures between the hungry masses and the hot fried onion goodness I was dishing up.  Instead I had to settle for a picture of a handful I was able to grab and sneak off with.

PW isn't kidding, just when you think you've made enough of these, go ahead and double what you've already done.  They are THAT good.  I used a cast iron dutch oven and a fry thermometer to keep my oil temperature as constant as possible.  Also, wear an apron if you are wearing a new shirt (this is probably obvious to most of you experienced friers out there).



Ingredients:

1 whole Large Onion
2 cups Buttermilk
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
¼ teaspoons (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
Black Pepper To Taste

Directions:

Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk.  Soak for at least an hour.

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

Heat oil to 375 degrees.

Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and toss into the hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.  Drain on a paper towel and salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment